1. Drink sparkling water instead of soda. You can add fresh fruits like lemon, limes, or strawberries for flavor. You will get the fizz without all the extra calories!
2. Snack on air-popped popcorn instead of chips. You can add a dash of salt and still have a crunchy, salty snack without all of the added fats and calories.
3. Choose brown rice over white. Brown rice offers many essential nutrients that are not found in white rice; such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
4. Eat oatmeal instead of sugary cereal. Oatmeal offers many heart-healthy benefits without all the added sugar and is still inexpensive and easy to prepare.
5. Eat hard boiled eggs instead of fried eggs. Fried eggs are often cooked in butter and oil which adds additional fats.
6. Dark chocolate – Choose a sweet treat that is filled with magnesium and powerful source of antioxidants.
7. Choose extra virgin olive oil for cooking instead of butter. There are heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and it is high in antioxidants, making it a better choice.
8. Yogurt – Yogurt has many of the same effects as milk, such as protein and calcium. Add some almonds, granola, or fruits for a healthy snack.
9. Eat whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juice. Many fruit juices contain large amounts of added sugar. Go with a whole piece of fruit and reap the full nutritional benefits such as fiber.